Countless events and incidents happen everyday and some of them leave mark on the date at which they occur. Every year, dozens of incidents occur everyday, some spread happiness while some leave a sorrowful or stressful impact.
Baaghi TV is to share with you the important events that occurred on today’s date in history.
January 15 also is important for many reasons and so many incidents took place on this date in past. Let’s have a look at some of those.
- 1541: King Francis I of France gave Jean-François Roberval a commission to settle the province of New France (Canada).
- 1759: The famous British Museum was opened on the same date in year 1759.
- 1777: American Revolutionary War: Vermont (that time New Connecticut) declared its independence.
- 1815: War of 1812: American frigate USS President that was commanded by Commodore Stephen Decatur had been captured by a military unit of four British frigates.
- 1822: Greek War of Independence: Demetrios Ypsilantis was elected president of legislative assembly.
- 1870: A political cartoon for the first time symbolized the Democratic Party with a donkey.
- 1889: The Coca-Cola Company which was known as Pemberton Medicine Company that time was incorporated in Atlanta.
- 1892: James Naismith published for the first time rules of basketball.
- 1936: The first building that was completely covered in glass, was completed in Toledo, Ohio for Owens-Illinois Glass Company.
- 1937: Spanish Civil War: Nationalists and Republican withdraw after facing heavy losses and ending the Second Battle of Corunna Road.
- 1943: World War II: The Soviet anti-offensive at Voronezh began on January 15, 1943.
- 1943: The Pentagon, was devoted in Arlington, Virginia. The building was largest office building of the world.
- 1970: Nigerian Civil War: After a fight of almost 32-month for independence from Nigeria, Biafra surrendered.
- 1973: Vietnam War: Noting the progress in peace negotiations, President Richard Nixon announced the seizure of action in North Vietnam.
- 1991: The United Nations deadline for expired and the preparations of withdrawal of Operation Desert Storm was started. The deadline asked Iraqi forces to be withdrawn from occupied Kuwait.
- 1992: The international community accepted and recognized the independence of Slovenia and Croatia from Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
- 2001: Wikipedia, the free Wiki content encyclopedia went online on the January 15, 2001.
- 2013: A military train with Egyptian Army met accident near Giza, Greater Cairo and killed almost 19 soldiers and injured 120 others.
The history leaves a remark to be recalled because a human learns from his mistake in the past.