KARACHI: Sindh High Court has extended interim bail of prominent leader of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) Waseem Akhtar till February 1.
Waseem Akhtar has been accused in two cases for giving comments related to National institutes and Intelligence Agencies on a private channel, the cases were lodged in Sohrab Goth and Super Highway police stations.
For Anti speeches case, Waseem Akhtar was presented in Sindh High Court for bail before arrest today, where SHC has extended the interim bail of Waseem Akhtar till February 1.
Earlier, The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Tuesday granted interim bail to Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader Waseem Akhtar till January 18 in two cases after submission of Rs50, 000 bonds against each.
Waseem Akhtar faces 27 cases over various charges including that of facilitating provocative speeches against intelligence agencies and the Army besides helping terrorists getting medical treatment at Dr Asim Hussain’s Ziaudding Hospital.
Haider Abbas Rizvi faces three cases over charges of facilitating delivery of hate speeches.
The cases had been registered against Akhtar, who has been named by MQM for the slot of Karachi’s mayor, at Sohrab Goth and Super Highway police stations.
Earlier, the MQM leaders Haider Abbas Rizvi and Waseem Akhtar had filed separate pleas with the SHC for pre arrest bails.
On the other hand, The Anti Terrorism Court in Quetta has acquitted former president Gen. (retd) Pervez Musharraf, former interior minister Aftab Ahmed Sherpao and provincial home minister Shoaib Nosherwani in Akbar Bugti murder case.
The court also dismissed the request by Nawabzada Jamil Akbar Bugti, eldest son of late Nawab Akbar Bugti, to order exhumation and DNA test of the body to confirm that the body buried in Dera Bugti was that of his father.
Leader of the Bugti clan in Baluchistan, Akbar Khan Bugti was killed in a cave on August 26, 2006 during a military crackdown ordered by Musharraf, who was president and army chief at the time.
Speaking to journalists after the hearing, Bugti’s lawyer Sohail Rajput criticized the probe team in the case, and said that he was not satisfied with the court’s verdict.
Everyone is very much aware of the facts. They believe that those responsible should be punished at any cost, he said.
Meanwhile, Aftab Sherpao expressed satisfaction over the judgment. Former president Pervez Musharraf was indicted in the case in January 2015. ATC Judge Jaan Muhammad Gohar pronounced the short verdict here Monday.