PESHAWAR: On Saturday, a number of schools in Peshawar cantonment and the city were closed whereas students sent back to their homes after rumors of threats to educational institutions.
District Nazim Muhammad Asim has ordered an inquiry to find out as to who had spread the rumor that led to the closure of schools and resulted in panic and terror among the public.
A number of schools were initially closed in the cantonment area followed by other government and private institutions in the city after rumors circulated that there were threats of another major attack on schools.
Media also reported the closure of schools in the wake of threats. However, there was no official statement.
Many parents were seen rushing to the schools when the rumor circulated all over the city. Several schools’ management closed the institutions ahead of their scheduled time.
A social worker Imran said that one of his sisters called him to check as to what was going on. Later he continued receiving calls for hours to know about what is really happening in Peshawar.
All government and private schools were shut down in the provincial metropolis owing to security threats.
Their teachers also were not aware of the development, as neither the closure of educational institutes was announced through media nor a formal notification in this regard was issued by the education department.
According to education department, the private and government schools were shut down in cantonment and city due to threats.
The schools were closed on the directives of district administration, sources in police told.
When contacted, deputy commissioner Riaz Khan Mehsud said he had ordered the closure of schools in cantonment, Nothia and Gulberg areas only and that too for one day.
Moreover, the home department issued red alert while ordering enhanced security around the schools.
It is worth mentioning here that security of all private and government schools had been beefed up after the terror attack on Army Public School (APS) that claimed lives of over 150 people including 132 students on December 16, 2014.
Meanwhile, district nazim Mohammad Asim Khan expressed annoyance at the closure of schools and said the move had wasted the precious time of students.
In light of the district administration’s directives circulated on Friday night, the officers of the elementary and secondary education department rushed to the schools in their respective areas on Saturday morning and asked headmasters to close campuses.