WASHINGTON: President of United States, Barrack Obama’s government hasn’t yet made a decision on whether to rise up the troop levels to counter a reviving Taliban in Afghanistan, on Tuesday said the Pentagon.
Ashton Carter, who is the Defence Secretary wants to give John Nicholson, the Lieutenant General who leads the international forces in Afghanistan, John Nicholson, the time to assess the situation on ground & to make proposals first.
“Let us give General Nicholson a chance to get on the ground, and find out whether or not there needs to be an adjustment,” said Peter Cook, the Pentagon spokesperson.
The Lieutenant John Nicholson pledged to make a proposal within 90 days after taking up the post on March 2nd.
The number of United States troops is due to drop to 5,500 initiating in Jan. 2017 ─ down from the current number of 9,800. However, damages by Afghan military against the Taliban fighters last year, including when insurgents took & briefly held the northern city of Kunduz, has concerned the military officials of the United States.
The American & NATO combat mission in Afghanistan officially ended in Dec. 2014.
Nevertheless, since then the Taliban have succeeded to make major gains against the 350,000 Afghan soldiers & police, along with the 13,000 foreign troops now officially restricting to training & advising them.