Acting Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asian Affairs and Acting Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan Ambassador, Alice Wells’ visit was postponed on Sunday.
“At the request of the Government of Pakistan, Acting Assistant Secretary Wells’ trip has been postponed until a mutually convenient time,” said a U.S. Embassy spokesperson.
Earlier in Sunday morning, U.S. Department of State had confirmed her emergency visit to Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka from August 28 to September 2. Ambassador Wells was supposed to meet senior civil and military leadership in Pakistan to discuss the present situation in the region after U.S. President Donald Trump’s scathing statement.
According to the U.S. embassy in Pakistan, a new date for her visit will be announced with mutual consent of both countries. In the present situation, this visit was given immense importance by U.S. Department of State.
It is the second visit of Alice Wells in two weeks. United States Department of State has confirmed the tour and stated that its purpose would be to take the top leadership of Pakistan into confidence regarding US policies.
Let it be known that Donald Trump in his first formal address to the nation as commander-in-chief warned Pakistan that Washington will no longer tolerate Pakistan offering “safe havens” to extremists.
“We can no longer be silent about Pakistan’s safe havens for terrorist organizations,” Trump declared, outlining a new US security strategy in South Asia.
“Pakistan has much to gain from partnering with our effort in Afghanistan. It has much to lose by continuing to harbor criminals and terrorists.”
Going further, Trump suggested that military and other aid to Washington’s nuclear-armed ally is at stake if it does not clamp down on extremism.
“We have been paying Pakistan billions and billions of dollars at the same time they are housing the very terrorists that we are fighting,” he said.
“That will have to change and that will change immediately,” he said.
“It is time for Pakistan to dedicate to civilization and order and peace.”
Following the accusations levelled by Donald Trump, angry and offended Pakistanis fired back highlighting the heavy toll they have paid fighting extremism and slamming his embrace of arch-rival India.
Provincial assemblies in Punjab, Sindh and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) condemned the remarks given by US President Donald Trump against Pakistan, and passed resolutions against Trump’s statement in their respective parliaments. They called it a disgrace to the sacrifices and contributions of the nation.
National Security Committee (NSC) rejected remarks given by US President while discussing his administration’s reviewed policy for South Asia and Afghanistan. The members jointly affirmed that there are no safe havens for terrorist organizations in Pakistan.
Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal called Trump’s allegations against Pakistan ‘disappointing’, adding that no country has greater stake in peace in Afghanistan than Pakistan.