Islamabad: The much awaited sixth population census of Pakistan, and the first census in 19 years, first phase is set to begin from March 15 (tomorrow).
During the first phase, census will be held in 63 districts, 16 of Punjab province, 8 districts of Sindh, 14 districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK), 15 districts of Balochistan, five districts of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) and five of Gilgit-Baltistan.
Districts to be covered in first phase:
Lahore, Faisalabad, Jhang, Toba Tek Singh, Chiniot, Hafizabad, Narowal, Sialkot, Dera Ghazi Khan, Rajanpur, Layyah, Muzaffargarh, Vehari, Pakpattan, Bahawalpur and Attock are districts to be covered during first phase in Punjab
In Sindh, census will be held first at districts of Karachi West, Karachi South, Karachi East Korengi, Karachi Central, Malir, Hyderabad and Ghotki.
Peshawar, Mardan, Swabi, Nowshera, Charsadda, Laki Marwat, Dera Ismail Khan, Mansehra, Battagram, Hangu, Abbotabad, Haripur, Turghar and Orakzai Agency are districts of KPK where the head-count would be held.
In Balochistan the first phase of census would be launched in Quetta, Awaran, Lesbela, Dera Bughti, Kohlu, Musakhel, Pishin, Noshki, Kalat, Jafarabad, Naseerabad, Washuq, Kharan, Lehri.
Turbat will be covered in both phases.
Azad Jammu and Kashmir
Districts of AJK to be covered at first are Muzaffarabad, Bagh, Sudhnoti, Kotli, Bhimber.
The head-count would be held in these districts of GB, Gilgit, Baltistan, Ghizer, Nagar and Ghanche.
Second phase will cover remaining 88 districts of the country.
Some Important Facts:
- Beside male and female choice will be also for the third gender who are “transgenders.” This is the first time they will be counted separately in census.
- Though there are dozens of languages in Pakistan, only 9 languages are mentioned.
- The census provides two options for nationality which are Pakistani and foreign.
- People can declare themselves Muslim, Hindu, Christian and Ahmadi. “Other” option will also available.
- How many toilets are in your home? (no, not I’m asking) you will also be questioned about number of toilets during census.