Hollywood has its reputation for paying their employees at crazily high prices. Yet, it also has been criticized a lot for the huge pay gap between female actresses and male actors. In the past time, a lot of noticeable Hollywood female personas have spoken up and have fought against this injustice, demanding for an equal pay. Oprah Winfrey, Amy Schumer, Jennifer Lawrence along with others have spoken out about the wage gap that persists between men and women in Hollywood and though things haven’t begun changing on a large scale, at least they are pushing back in order to break all the stereotypes of women being paid less than men. It is to be noted that the most highly paid male actor of 2017, Mark Wahlberg, earned over $68 million while Emma Stone, the most highly paid female actress of 2017, did not even earn half that amount, $26 million.
We will now let the list do the talking, so take a look below:
- Mark Wahlberg ($68 million) He managed to star in a couple of Large-scale movies during 2017, however, none was a mega Blockbuster movie. This did not stop him being paid and managed to make a whopping amount of $68 million after starring in ‘Patriots Day’, oil spill biopic ‘Deepwater Horizon’ and ‘Transformers: The Last Knight.’
- Dwayne Johnson ‘The Rock’ ($65 million) This King worked in the movies ‘Ballers’, ‘The Fate of the Furious’, ‘Baywatch’ and his action-packed film ‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,’ during 2017 and ended up earning him the title of runner’s up in this list.
- Vin Diesel ($54.4 million) While he starred in movies both onscreen and offscreen last year, Vin Diesel was a voice-over actor in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2’ and the leading character, Xander Cage, in ‘xXx: Return of Xander Cage.’ Of course, the famous celeb is also a part of The Fast and Furious franchise, starring in last year’s film alongside The Rock, ‘The Fate of the Furious.’ These super hits led him to number three in this list.
- Adam Sandler ($50.5 million)With his four-movie deal with Netflix—two of which were released last year—it’s no wonder Adam Sandler was the fourth-highest-paid actor of 2017. His Netflix hits ‘The Meyerowitz Stories’ and ‘Sandly Wexler’ helped the comedian/actor make $50.5 million in simply one year.
- Jackie Chan ($49 million)This legend starred in a couple of big, small, national and international movies in the previous year including ‘Reset,’ ‘The Foreigner,’ ‘Bleeding Steel,’ ‘The LEGO Ninjago Movie,’ ‘Kung Fu Yoga,’ ‘The Nut Job 2’ and ‘Namiya.’ This hard work paid off and landed Mister Chan at Number 5 on this list.
- Robert Downey Jr. ($48 million)‘Iron Man’ has dropped down from number 1 to number 6, except for this he has still continued to make his superhero movies and in 2017, starred in ‘Spider Man: Homecoming,’ which attributed to his $48 million salary in 2017.
- Tom Cruise ($43 million) Another star who makes money off of action movies, Cruise is reported to have mad eight figures for each of his last year’s movies. ‘The Mummy’ and ‘American Made’ majorly combined in pacing Cruise in 7th position.
- Chris Hemsworth ($31.5 million) More commonly known as ‘Thor,’ the star rakes money by starring in the money-making Marvel Comics franchise. Only last year did he make $31.5 million and that was majorly from acting in ‘Thor: Ragnarok.’
- Tom Hanks ($31 million)Well this was expected, Tom Hanks, being the amazing actor he is, had to land a part in this list. Last year, Hanks starred in a couple of major motion pictures such as ‘The Post,’ ‘The Circle’ and ‘Spielberg.’
- Samuel L. Jackson ($30.5 million)With his hard work, Mister Samuel too made it to the list. Simply in 3645 days, this man managed to work in five movies, ‘Kong: Skull Island,’ ‘Unicorn Store,’ ‘The Hitman’s Bodyguard,’ ‘Blazing Samurai’ and ‘xXx: Return of Xander Cage.’
Did you notice that throughout the list, there was no female celebrity? Not even the most highly paid Hollywood actress can compete against the 10th person in the list, this is a sad reality and needs to be changed.