On Thursday morning, a French national was arrested, who is suspected of belonging to a militant network planning an attack in France, said Bernard Cazeneuve, the French Interior Minister.
The arrest has aided “foil a plot in France that was at an advanced stage,” said Minister Bernard Cazeneuve on Thursday night during a televised address from his ministry.
“The individual questioned, a French national, is suspected of high-level involvement in this plan. He was part of a terrorist network that planned to strike France,” Bernad Cazeneuve had stated.
Following the arrest by DGSI, theFrench counterterrorism service, agency had carried out a raid on the Thursday night at an apartment building in Argenteuil, that is a suburb in northern Paris, he added.
“At this stage, there’s no tangible evidence that links this plot to the attacks in Paris & Brussels,” said French Interior Minister, Cazeneuve, who on Thursday was in the Belgian capital.
The French radio station France Info had reported that the man had been sentenced in Belgium for his connection to a ”jihadist” network. According to the reports by the French TV station ITele some explosives had also been found in the man’s house.
The arrest came 2 days after the suicide bombers had hit the Brussels airport along with a metro train, killing a total of 31 people and injuring some 270 in worst attack in the history of Belgian.
In November, last year 130 people were killed in Paris in the synchronized attacks on the cafes, a concert hall and a sports stadium. The IS (Islamic State) militant group has claimed accountability for both the Brussels & Paris attacks.