On Monday, the Syrian army was reported to be sending back-ups to Aleppo, where reintroduced combat is menacing a fragile ceasefire in the run-up to next round of the peace talks.
Underlining the regional dimensions of conflict, the Iranian media had announced the 1st deaths of the members of its regular Syrian army, only a week after Tehran had said that army commandos had been arrayed in the support of Damascus. The Elite Revolutionary Guard Corps have so far mostly provided Iran’s military backing.
An outbreak of combat near the ancient city of Aleppo in last 2 weeks marks the most serious trial yet to a “cessation of hostilities” brokered by Russia & the United States with the intention of facilitating the peace talks.
Indicating to the frayed state of truce, Walid al-Moualem, the Foreign Minister had told the U.N. envoy Staffan de Mistura, visiting Damascus, that Saudi Arabia & Turkey and were responsible for the violations of deal.
He said that they’d ordered the insurgents to orchestrate the attacks directed at the foiling planned Geneva talks. There wasn’t any immediate response from Turkey & Saudi Arabia.
The 2 nations have supported the rebellion against the Syrian President, Bashar al-Assad, providing the insurgents with money & arms. Assad is reinforced militarily by both Russia & Iran.
The U.N.-sponsored talks that resume on Wednesday, intended to end a 5-year-old conflict that had killed over 250,000 people, created world’s worst refugee crisis and had permitted for the upsurge of IS (Islamic State). The 1st round made little development, with no sign of cooperation over the main issue of Assad’s future.
Highlighting Assad’s confidence, the Syrian Govt. is due to hold the parliamentary elections in the state-held parts of country on Wednesday. The opposition has termed the vote a bona fide.