Lahore: The so far published documents suggest that over 200 Pakistanis were directly involved in shady businesses, more names will continue to pour in as thousands of documents are yet to be made public.
Although the papers feature businesses from 1977 to 2015, but the Pakistani names start appearing in years after 1990.
A 2.6 terabyte confidential leak published by International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) on Sunday.
Surprisingly Saifullah family of Lakki Marwat city of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa are the ones who own most offshore companies.
The family owns at least 34 offshore companies in the British Virgin Islands and Seychelles, (BVI) Ireland, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Interestingly, Senator Osman Saifullah is a member of the Tax Reform Commission set up by the government to check revenue leakage, broaden the revenue base and improve tax administration.
Javed Pasha, a close friend of Asif Ali Zardari, is found to have links with five offshore companies. Pasha shares the companies with some prominent businessmen of Indian origin.
Ilyas Mehraj, a close relative of Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif’s relative has been mentioned as a major shareholder of a company though he firmly denies it.
Another relative of the Punjab CM Samina Durrani owns three companies; the latest was opened in 2010.
According to details, several media groups were also found owning offshore companies.
Zulfiqar Lakhani was on top who owns Lakson Group and Express media group.
Gohar Ejaz, who maintains an image of property tycoon, textile and a financier of Channel 24 as well, was also in the list.
Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman of Jang and Geo Group also established an offshore company in early 2000s.
According to Panama papers, top judges also own offshors firms, Justice Farrukha Irfan currently serving in Lahore High Court name was also on the list.
Justice (retd) Malik Qayyum among owners of an offshore company.
A list of businessmen:
- Aqueel Hassan and his brother Tanwir Hassan of Pizza Hut (Pakistan)
- Mehmood Ahmed of Berger Paints
- Sadruddin Hashwani and son Murtaza Hashwani of Hashoo Group
- Hussain Dawood of Engro Corporation Limited
- Shahid Nazir of Masood Textiles
- Gul Muhammad Tabba of Lucky Textiles
- Malik Riaz Hussain’s son Ahmed Ali Riaz of Behria Town
- Sultan Ali Allana of Habib Bank Limited
- Abdul Rashid Soorty and family of Soorty Enterprise
- Abdullah family (Yousuf Abdullah, Shahid Abdullah, Nadeem Abdullah, Amer Abdullah) of Sapphire Textiles
- Azam Sultan of ABM Group of Companies
- Shehbaz Yasin Malik and family of Hilton Pharma
- Shahid Nazir and family of Masood Textile Mills
- Bashir Ahmed and Javed Shakoor of Buxly Paints
- Zulfiqar Paracha of Universal Corporation (Pvt) Ltd