Mina tragedy take death toll at 2,177

0

DUBAI: A new Associated Press tally showed Monday about the death toll that stuck Hajj this year in Saudi Arab which resulted in around 2,177 martyrs. Officials in the kingdom met to discuss the tragedy in the Press.

The disaster that occurred on September 24th  in Mina kept rising as people were unable to locate their loved ones. The officials in Saudi Arab are yet to be answerable for the tragedy as it is yet to be finalized of the total count of the killed and injured people.

The Crown Prince of Saudi, Mohammad bin Naif Abdul Aziz is the interior minister of the state and he did not pay much heed to the meeting that was held on Sunday. The meeting was to address the Mina stampede but there was no official statement recorded from the officials of the state

State-wise numbers of people lost in the stampede:

  • Iran: 465
  • Mali: 254
  • Nigeria: 199
  • Egypt: 182
  • Bangladesh: 137
  • Indonesia: 126
  • India: 116
  • Pakistan: 102
  • Cameroon: 76
  • Niger: 72
  • Senegal: 61
  • Ivory Coast, Benin: 62
  • Ethiopia: 47
  • Chad: 43
  • Morocco: 36
  • Algeria: 33
  • Sudan: 30
  • Burkina Faso: 22
  • Tanzania: 20
  • Somalia: 10
  • Kenya: 8
  • Ghana, Turkey: 7
  • Myanmar, Libya: 6
  • China: 4
  • Afghanistan: 2
  • Jordan, Malaysia: 1

The count came from the media reports.

King Salman had ordered the investigation of the Mina disaster which can easily be stated as the deadliest in the history of the annual pilgrimage.

“The crown prince was reassured on the progress of the investigations,” the SPA report said.

“He directed the committee’s members to continue their efforts to find the causes of the accident, praying to Allah Almighty to accept the martyrs and wishing the injured a speedy recovery.”

111 pilgrims were killed in the incident which came after a crane collapse in Makkah. Both the disasters raised concerns among the Muslim world regarding the setup and arrangement by Saudi government.

Saudi government clearly rejected a suggestion by Iran to have an independent body take over planning and administering the Hajj pilgrimage as Iran has previously blamed the disaster on the Saudi royal family, accusing it of mismanagement and of covering up the real death toll.

“The lying and hypercritical bodies, which claim to (be promoting) human rights, as well as the Western governments, which sometimes make great fuss over the death of a single person, remained dead silent in this incident in favor of their allied government,” Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Monday, according to a transcript on his website.

“If they were sincere, these self-proclaimed advocates of human rights should have demanded accountability, compensation, guarantee for non-recurrence and punishment for the perpetrators of this catastrophe.”

It has not been long that Saudi Arabia has been targeted in gun and bomb attacks by an affiliate of the extremist self-styled Islamic State (IS) group, which holds a third of Iraq and Syria in its self-declared “caliphate”.

Comments

comments

Share.

Leave A Reply