On Wednesday, the Indian government was accused of retreating its posture on the Koh-i-Noor diamond, after swearing to regain the invaluable gem just days after the lawyer general said it was gifted to Britain.
The 108-carat Koh-i-Noor stone, which came into British hands for the period of the colonial age, is the topic of a significant possession argument and has been appealed by at least four countries counting India.
India’s Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar astonished many on Monday when he said the stone was not stolen, and instead 19th-century Sikh king Ranjit Singh had given it to the British.
In a statement released late Tuesday, the government said it would “make all possible efforts to bring back” the diamond “in an amicable manner”.
“The Government of India remains hopeful for an amicable outcome whereby India gets back a valued piece of art with strong roots in our nation’s history,” it also said.
Kumar had been replying in court to an appeal from a non-governmental organisation pursuing the diamond’s return.
The Central government learnt Supreme Court that India should not claim the renowned Kohinoor diamond from the British queen as it was gifted by Maharaja Ranjit Singh to the then British government.
The NDA government at the Centre on the behest of Ministry of Culture learnt the Supreme Court that, India should not stake claim for Kohinoor diamond as ‘it was neither stolen not it was forcibly taken away’.
Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar, seeming for the Central government in Supreme Court said it was the stand of the Culture Ministry. He also informed the Supreme Court that the Kohinoor diamond was handed over by Maharaja Ranjit Singh to the East India Company.
The matter which is heard by Chief Justice TS Thakur asked the Centre if they want the case to be dismissed but also informed that the Centre may face a problem in the future while putting forward any legitimate claim.